If you want to have successful cataract surgery, you must have the mind of working together with your doctor as a team. There should be an agreement between you and your doctor before entering the theatre room for cataract surgery. Although finding the right doctor for cataract surgery can be a difficult task to achieve here in Sydney. The reason is that there are eye clinics in Sydney that doesn’t have all that it takes to embark on this journey. We are not saying one cannot find a competent doctor for cataract surgery in Sydney. But we are here to guide you through some things you should look out for before selecting a doctor for cataract surgery.
Therefore, if you want to have the best possible results, there’s a lot of work you need to do. Also, please don’t assume that all eye doctors can take you through the process of cataract surgery successfully. We believe it would be nice to start this vital information by telling the right person to perform cataract surgery for better understanding.
Who performs cataract surgery?
Without stressing you here, only ophthalmologists can perform cataract surgery. Ophthalmologists are medical practitioners that specialize in eye problems. They can diagnose and treat all kinds of eye problems like cataracts and glaucoma.
However, some other medical doctors can help you take care of your eyes. They are;
- Opticians: Opticians fit eyeglasses and contacts. Let me quickly chip in this; opticians are not trained to diagnose or treat any eye disease.
- Optometrists: These experts only have a license to perform eye exams. They are well-trained to find and treat some eye conditions. Please note that optometrists are not medical doctors. Of course, they can diagnose cataracts, but they can’t perform the surgery to remove them.
However, we only show you the difference between ophthalmologists and other eye doctor that can care for your eye. We hope you are not lost. Hence, it is expedient for you to know that it is wrong to assume that any of the above-listed professionals can deal with cataracts. Can we hit it again? It is only an ophthalmologist that can perform successful cataract surgery.
What are things to look for in a cataract surgeon?
Before you can trust anyone in handling cataracts, you need to consider some factors. Those factors include:
- Credentials: Ensure that any ophthalmologist you want to choose is a certified one. Make sure you choose a doctor who has passed through a series of training and got skills to perform eye surgery. Several people have failed in looking intently at the man they want to commit their eyes on. Some did not even research to know if the doctor is a certified ophthalmologist. In fact, please go to the extent of checking the doctor’s records you’re about to choose. You need to check if they don’t engage in any form of examination malpractice or an act of indiscipline. As funny as this may sound, it will surely go a long way.
- Experience: Your work will take a step further to know if the doctor is full of knowledge. If you are with a surgeon with a lot of experience, then the chance of risk in doing the surgery will be minimal. Some quack doctors will perform this surgery, leading to inflammation, bleeding, infection, and any other complications. Then, how can you know your surgeon’s experiences? You can ask them some questions like;
- How many operations have you performed?
- What is your surgical success rate?
- Are there any chances of complications after this surgery?
- How long have you been doing this surgery?
Therefore, if the doctor you chose can answer the above-listed questions directly without shaking, you are in safe hands.
- Specialty: Some eye surgeons only focus on certain types of eye surgery. Therefore, you must know the area of your surgeon’s specialization. There’s nothing terrible in saying, “what is your area of specialization?” one of the advantages of working with a surgeon specializing in cataract surgery is that they will know the latest techniques and methods of removing cataracts.
- Surgical options: Remember, your surgeon will remove the damaged natural lens and replace it with an artificial one. Mind you; there are several types of an artificial lenses like newer and multifocal lens implants. Do you know why you need to know all this and discuss it with your doctor? For instance, multifocal lens implants as a type of artificial lens only offer a crisp vision for reading and driving. Therefore, before choosing a surgeon, you must take your time to do thorough research about these options to be able to ask questions and get more clarity. Dear reader, if you want to go for this surgery, ensure that you choose an ophthalmologist that will implant the type of intraocular lens you want.
- Check the doctor’s personality: Make sure you choose a doctor ready to hear from you. They must be a good listener. Your ophthalmologist must be prepared to answer all questions been thrown at them. Click here to read about WHAT ARE THE THREE BEST KINDS OF OPERATIONS FOR CATARACTS?
What is now the next step to take after one has picked one eye surgeon? The next thing is to fix an appointment with them. Schedule a consultation. Express yourself freely in front of them. Also, tell them the exact way you are feeling. Therefore, we hope to hear good news about your cataract being eradicated with the help of the competent eye surgeon you chose. Hence, if you want to get a qualified eye surgeon in Sydney, you can go straight to search engines like Google then search for a competent eye surgeon in Sydney. Google will suggest countless eye surgeons that are based here in Sydney to you.